Monday, April 14, 2014

SHA-256 VS SCRYPT VS SCRYPT-N

I was a little late to the mining game, and have been primarily focused on scrypt based coins with most of my herd of 270s pointed at our profit switching mining pool pool.cryptopros.com.


I was talking with the the boys at Cryptopros (Clint and Pete) and received a major rash for having never mined Bitcoin before. Now granted most are aware that GPU mining for Bitcoin became unprofitable sometime ago do to the development of ASIC technology supporting SHA-256, but never the less mining for Bitcoin was now on my to do list.



As our baseline I elected to use a rig that was currently running BAMT 1.6 and mining scrypt. As a update, BAMT 1.6 does give a lower reject rate over 1.2, but definitely pushes the GPUs harder, thus raising operating temperatures.


srcypt


A little investigation into GPU settings for mining Bitcoin showed no reference for R9 270s as they were released well after the rise of ASIC miners. No issues though, with a little messing around with the BAMT configuration files I was able to grow from KHash to MHash, and actually have some shares accepted and they show up on the pool! Now obviously I didn’t spend a lot of time optimizing, but now the claim can be made that I actually mined BitCoin.


bitcoin


So with my Bitcoin mining success, I decided to take the next step and try a Scrypt-N mining. It so happens that our friends over at CoinHuntr have started a pool dedicated to Vertcoin, which can be found at Vertsquad.com.


BAMT 1.6 provides a option in the BAMT configuration file to select the mining of Scrypt-N. It took a little time to get this one going as the settings to mine Vertcoin is quite different from say Litecoin, but success! Again, not a lot time was spent optimizing, and I am sure there is room for some improvement, but Scrypt-N definitely slows a GPU to a crawl.


vert


So I went from close to 500 KHash with scrypt mining, to 400 MHash Bitcoin mining and then plummeted to under 200 KHash with Scrypt -N all performed on the same Rig. About all I can do now is give Clint and Pete a rash for never mining Scrypt -N.



source: http://www.cryptopros.com/2014/03/sha245-vs-scrypt-vs-scrypt-n.html



1 comment:

  1. Invest in LiteCoin on eToro the World’s Best Social Trading Network...

    Join millions who have already discovered easier strategies for investing in Litecoin...

    Learn from profitable eToro traders or copy their positions automatically!

    ReplyDelete